Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bale Well = the best/most epic food in Hoi An

This was for sure one of the most epic meals I've ever had!



The place is called Bale Well and it's tucked away in a little alley in Hoi An.



For 70,000 (about $3.50) it's all you can eat, bbq beef satay (or maybe it was pork, I don't know), minced pork, shrimp spring rolls, veggies, kimchi, peanut sauce and this super spicy chile sauce, and these rice pancake things with bean sprouts.



You don't actually order anything, they just start bring food out and it doesn't stop. The food just keeps coming.













Basically, you take all of that and wrap it up in rice paper and dip it in this super spicy chili sauce and/or peanut sauce and then cram it into your mouth, one after another.



And the lady who runs the place will make the wraps for you if she feels you aren't doing it the properly, or because she just thinks you need to eat some more.



We ate soooooo much! When I told her I was done, she said, "one more!" and took a piece of the satay and stuck it in the sauce and fed me from her chopsticks like a child. Then she brought out plates of pineapple and a bunch of hand wipes.



It was such an incredible meal and when I tipped her the equivalent of maybe $1 she totally got up and hugged me. So sweet.



After the meal we walked a little further down the alley to this little cafe and had white iced coffee, which is totally my new obsession. It was such a great day!

2 comments:

annalea said...

food!! please keep me updated on all the great food/drinks you're experiencing. as you might guess, i love seeing/reading about it. this post is totally wonderful and i'm hungry just looking at it.

so far it seems like an amazing trip - I'm jealous! xoxo

annalea said...

ps. the last photo in this post is beautiful.