Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dinner in Hoi An: Cao lau and Banana Fish

Last night we had another amazing meal in Hoi An. We started with Cao Lau, which is basically greens, bean sprouts, these crouton things, pork and some noodles and some special sauce.



The recipe for Cao Lau is a secret. In Hoi An there are 6 water wells that were built by the Champa people (who were here before the Vietnamese people) around 1000 years ago. The local people still use those wells for water today and using that water for the noodles is part of the secret recipe for this dish. I think the other secret part is the sauce, which is a little bit sweet and totally amazing.



Then we had Snapper in a banana leaf and the herbs and spices used in this dish were absolutely delicious. I always think I don't like fish and then lately, ever time I eat it I'm blown away and this time was no different. It sort of tasted of ginger, lemon grass and ... I don't know ... good stuff.

The restaurant was down by the river.



And apart from a few bug bites, it was the perfect evening.

No comments: