Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The view out my window: day 1 (HCM City)



When I got off the plane last night after traveling for almost 24 hours I was such a wreck. I slept with a blanket over my head for the entire 2 hour flight from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh and I know I woke up looking like I was straight out of night of the living dead or something. And when I walked outside the airport and into the 70 degree, 10pm, sticky heat I felt like I was walking down a runway looking my absolute worst, ever! It was like a bad dream. There was a roped off path through a crowd of literally hundreds of people waiting, anticipating their family member's arrivals. None of these people were here for me. But they were all staring.
"What the fuck am I doing here?!" I thought. And then immediately felt bad for thinking that. I've been wanting to come back to Vietnam since I was first here 3 years ago and I finally made it back so why was I questioning my decision to come?! I was just in a fragile state. I didn't mean it. I just needed a bed and proper sleep.
I realized as I stood at the ATM outside the airport that I did not adequately prepare for this trip. I had no idea what the exchange rate was or how much money I should take out. Luckily, there was a little sign that said a 40,000 fee would be assessed to any transaction ($2 USD) so I just added a few zeros and hoped for the best.
I got to my hotel, washed up and slept for 11 hours. Woke up, showered, ordered room service and sat sipping coffee watching the world outside my window. So awesome.

I'll be roughing it, for the most part, on this trip but I felt like I needed to start things off right, in a nice, posh place.


So that's what I did!

No comments: