Wednesday, March 10, 2010

sickness.. it happens

I don't know what did it to me.



The Pho...



The hot chili sauce...



The coffee...

Or perhaps,







it was the alcohol.
(but I only had 3 drinks, and none of them were shots, I swear!)

I don't know exactly what did it, but I woke up in the middle of the night freezing cold, shaking with the worst stomach cramps I'd ever had in my life (except for when I was in Lao). Then the next thing I know I'm burning up, sweating and every time I try to move, the cramps get even worse. I think I'm going to die. I just want my mommy. I want to curl up on the bathroom floor for a while, but I remember the cockroach I found in there earlier.



I throw up. I can't keep any liquids inside me. I'm worried about the 13 hour train ride the next day. I'm worried about getting super dehydrated. I know I have some pills in my bag somewhere, but I don't even have the energy to look for them. All I can do is lay there. Finally I fall asleep. When I wake up I find the pills and take them. I try to drink water. I go back to sleep. Jesse brings me bread but I'm afraid to eat it. It's pouring rain, which makes me feel a little better about not being able to get out of bed. A few hours later I manage to get up and take a shower. I feel better. The worst seems to be over. I eat the bread. I get on the train. I read and I sleep.

We arrive in Hanoi and everyone else gets on a bus headed to Halong Bay. (I've been there before and I don't want to drive another 3 hours after a 13 hour train ride). I hop in a taxi and head for the Hilton. My room isn't ready when I arrive, so I read some more. Have coffee and a croissant. My stomach feels ok. I get a massage. I check into my room, shower and nap. I try to eat some real food, and I feel sick again. Back to bed.
It could be worse, I know. But it could also be a bit better.

No comments: