Sunday, October 28, 2007

having too much fun to blog :)

Don't worry about me if you don't hear much from me in the next few days/weeks. I'm here in the northern part of Australia, Queensland, which they call the sun shine state. It is hot and humid, but very beautiful and fun here. I've been in Cairns (pronounced cannes or cans, lol) for that last few days. I met up with a new group of really nice cool people who I'll be traveling with for the next 10 days or so. Everyone seems to be in their 20's and from lots of different countries and most importantly, everyone is super nice and chill. So this is all good!
Today we went out to the Great Barrier Reef for a full day of snorkeling. It was pretty amazing. I tried to be really good and put sun block on all day, but of course there are still spots on my back that got sun burned. Not too bad, though. There are also rain forests here too and yesterday we did this thing where you take a gondola down from the top of a mountain village above the rain forest. It was pretty cool. (Not as cool as the gondolas and the views in Switzerland, but I guess really you can't compare the two).
Cairns is a funny little town. Not much here really other than some hotels and bars and a few night clubs. And they still seem to be into trance music here, lol. I think it's because of all the digeridoos (I know I'm spelling that wrong) and drums and aboriginal, back to nature, dance type stuff. In Melbourne there was drum and bass everywhere it seemed like. (ok, everywhere I was hanging out). But here it's like back to Saturday night trance parties and tons of little shops selling om stuff and you know, your typical trance/hippie stuff. Ha. Yesterday at this cafe they were playing a mixed cd that I had in college. I couldn't place it, not K&D, not Tosca, but something like that. It was nice. This place has a nice mellow vibe, but if you stayed here too long, you might be bored. Although you can dive and snorkel on the reef, bungee jump, sky dive, river raft, wake board, kite board, so yeah, there's plenty to keep you busy, if you could afford it.
Things in Australia are definitely more expensive that I was expecting them to be.
And I found out that for some reason they canceled the 2 day sailing thing I was going to do. So I guess I'll just be chillin' on the beach in Long Island in the Whitsunday's, which should be just fine with me.
So yeah, you might not here from me for the next few days cause I'll be out on that island, and I'm not bringing my computer. It's another one of those things where we take a little boat there and then have to hike to where we are staying, so I'm only bringing a little day pack.
But it's only about 2 weeks now until I come home. I'm feeling a little excited about that to be honest.

No comments: