Thursday, October 18, 2007

Yangshuo (my last real stop in China cause Hong Kong doesn't really count)

This place is cool. I like it. But I guess so does everybody else, because you can tell it is turning into the backpacker hangout of China. From here you can do a bunch of cool stuff like rock climbing, kayaking, cycling, hiking, visit caves, mud baths and there are lots of little shops and bars popping up all over. There is a main little pedestrian street where most of the touristy stuff is, and the town is small enough that you can pretty much walk everywhere, which I love. Today we did a 5 hour bike ride, and even though it was pretty much all flat, it was along these super rocky dirt roads and it was really rough riding. But it was fun. And you ride by rivers and all these limestone karsts, which are really cool and unusual. And it's not cold here! The weather has actually been perfect.
Tonight I'm going to see a light show / cultural show that was put together by the guy who is doing the opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics. They promised me it wasn't going to be cheesy, but I have my doubts. I usually don't like doing these super touristy things, but it is outside against the karsts, and who knows, maybe it will be good. I hope so.
I have all day tomorrow to wander around and I'm going to try to get my pictures sorted and posted and get a little more laundry done.
Then tomorrow night we take a 12 hour night train into Shenzen and then cross the boarder over into Hong Kong. Supposedly there is good Mexican food in Hong Kong, and a Ben and Jerry's. Gonna check that out for sure! So far I've only had fast food once on my trip, chicken tenders from Burger King in Phuket at the airport cause I was starving and wasn't going to be able to eat for a long time. I haven't had coffee since Chaing Mai, almost a month ago. (There is also Starbucks in Hong Kong, and I don't think I will be able to resist.) To be honest, if I never eat Chinese food again, I think it will be just fine.
I think I might look into buying a camera in Hong Kong, if I can find a good enough deal. Other than that I'm done with shopping! I've managed to get everything I ever wanted and much more! Shopping here is so fun. It's not like shopping at home where you're like "I want to get that but I can't afford it, or I shouldn't." It's more like, "let's see, what else can I spend my money on and any little thing that looks cool, your like, yup, I'll take it." But I have been bargaining too and I'm getting pretty good at it. Although, when it gets down to the end, I usually just give in cause you start to realize that you're arguing over like a dollar, if even.

No comments: