Saturday, September 29, 2007

YIKES... Bed Bugs!

OMG… my first traumatic experience with bed bugs. First of all, the “clean” towel in my room last night smelled like mildew and dead fish. I was like there is no way I’m going to use that on my face or my body! But I had my own little travel towel, and I was trying not to be a drama queen, so I didn’t say anything. Then last night as we are getting ready to go to bed, I pull the sheets back and I saw a little bug. Not a flying bug like a mossie, but a crawling bug. I was like ew gross, but I just flicked it away and tried to suck it up. I mean we are right by the river, of course there are going to be bugs. So we turn out the light and I laid there for probably a half hour, and I kept feeling something on my hands and arms. Finally, I really felt something so I switched the light on and my bed was crawling with bed bugs. Like at least 20 of them that I could see. I started freaking out and flicking them all over. My roommate got up and she also had a ton of bugs in her bed. She started smashing them and soooo much blood came out. Her sheets were like poka dotted with blood spots. It was so disgusting. We fought with them for a few minutes and then we were like, ok this is totally unacceptable! So we got our guide, who got the hotel manager. They both came in and looked at the bugs and all the blood. They moved us to a new room, and of course the first thing we did was tear apart the beds and look at the sheets. These seemed clean. (The towel didn’t smell either in the new room). But the sheets on my bed were also stained with little spots of blood, so I know we are not the first travelers here to be eaten alive by bed bugs. Ugh. I’m so semi-traumatized! I must have laid in bed for 2 hours thinking that there were still bugs crawling all over me. I feel like I need to write an email right away to the tour company. I would never in a million years wish that on one of my customers. They have to find another place to stay in this town, even though this town is like one street that goes for about one block, with one restaurant, and one little internet shack. So who knows, maybe there isn’t another place. All I know, is that if there had been an Intercontinental across the street, I would have been there, whipping out my credit card!
So we wake up this morning and it is pouring rain. (Of course it is!) I go to breakfast, and there basically is no breakfast. Like 3 pieces of unidentifiable fruit and some bread to make toast. I’m so pissed off right now! I just want to get the hell out of here.
For the first time in my trip I wished I was at home in my own bed. Then I remembered that I don’t have a home to go home to. Or a bed. I guess I’ve got a lot more to worry about than just bed bugs, eh?

No comments: