Monday, September 10, 2007

made it

Just wanted to drop a quick line to say I made it! Phew.
It was a long travel day, SFO - EWR - GVA - CAI. My plane from GVA - CAI was delayed a bit, but not too bad. And my bag made it, which I was really worried about. Egypt Air was awful. One of the worst flights of my life. The plane was so old there was an ashtray on the arm rest. And there were kids behind me kicking my chair and coughing the whole time. Yuck. Thankfully, I was so tired that I was able to pass out for most of the flight. Qatar Airways (EWR - GVA) was amazing!! I had a whole row to myself and got to lay down and sleep. They had these crazy blue lights near the windows that came on at night. And there was a menu and the food was ok for airplane food. And they do the whole VS thing where they give you socks and a toothbrush and ear plugs and pillows and blankets and candy. But it was weird. The male and female flight attendants didn't work together or even talk to each other. They only worked males with males and females with females. There were a couple people on the plane in full burqas (not sure how to spell that). I was really curious about how they were going to eat, but I was afraid to stare.
My taxi ride from the airport to my hotel in Cairo was insane. I guess there are no real rules of the road here, it's just like do whatever. Today we did the Egyptian Museum, and the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. It was pretty amazing. It's almost hard to wrap your head around it, really. I also paid extra (but got a 50% student discount with my ISIC card, lol) to see all the royal mummies at the Egyptian Museum and that was pretty creepy.
Well, I gotta get off this computer and get all my stuff packed for our 12+ hour train ride to Aswan. We have 1st class reclining seats, but they say the bathrooms are horrible and you don't even want to go there. Also, it could be really hot or really cold. I'm hoping it won't be too bad and that I can sleep.
I brought my computer along so I could blog and post pics, but I'm realizing that wireless Internet might be harder to come by than I thought.
So I will post when I can. I might have to save up my posts on my lappy, and then post a bunch all at once. I wrote a big long post on the plane. It is sort of the background for this trip and what it means to me. I'll post it when I get a chance.

2 comments:

kat said...

Sounds interesting so far, I'm excited to here more. Are there any interesting people in your group? Is it the same group the whole time or is it all mixed up? Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marin,

Keep up the good traveling. I'm enjoying your trip vicariously, I've never been to Egypt before...
Take care and enjoy. Love, Aunti Pepper