Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hi from Hong Kong

I made it to Hong Kong, but that is still just part way to my destination, Phuket.
I was thinking I was flying straight through from London to Bangkok (which would have made way more sense), but I forgot I have a few hours in Hong Kong. It definitely makes for a longer travel day, but guess you can't complain when the ticket is free, right?
This airport is huge. I know because I think I just had to walk from one end to the other and it took me like a half an hour. Granted I am a bit sleepy and out of it, so maybe it didn't really take thaaat long, but it felt like forever! This airport is crazy nice. The bathrooms are absolutely spotless and I think they have someone who just hangs out in there and cleans non-stop. And they have ladies walking around with gloves and metal tongs and they pick up every single little piece of paper off the floor. It's really crazy! And there are so many shops it's like being in the mall. And free wireless throughout the whole airport, yay! In London wifi was 5 pounds an hour, which just seems insane. But I guess nothing is cheap in London.
I'm only in Hong Kong for a couple hours waiting for my flight to Bangkok, then to Phuket. I think it's only a couple hours to Bangkok, and then just like an hour flight to Phuket.
I feel like I should walk around and check out some of the weird shops. I saw a candy store with all this strange Chinese candy and it looked cool, but I'm pretty exhausted and I'll probably just curl up on a bench and try to sleep for another hour or so. My stomach is feeling a little bit crampy and weird. It might be a side effect of the malaria pills I started taking. I don't know. It's not that bad, but it doesn't make me want to eat anything right now.
My Qantas flight from London was pretty good. It was one of those massive planes and the flight attendant told me that every seat on the plane was full, but then I ended up with an empty seat next to me, so I was happy and got to spread out a bit. There were a couple kids around me who cried a little bit, but they were so cute you couldn't really be mad at them. I just put in my ear plugs and went to sleep.
I should get into Phuket around 5pm tonight. I'm staying at a nice hotel right on Karan Beach on the sort of South Eastern part of the island. I'm there for 3 nights, just chillin' and relaxing before I start my big trip through Thailand, Laos, Northern Vietnam and Southern China. I hope it's not raining the whole time I'm in Phuket. I think it just rains for a few hours a day, so you still get some sunshine and can enjoy the beach. That's what I'm hoping for at least. But if it rains, I 'll just sleep and that will be ok too! I have a few books with me, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm not sure if they are going to have wireless... maybe.
Ok, I gotta go figure out my gate information. bye bye.

No comments: