Friday, September 14, 2007

Egypt is a crazy place

The do not have Starbucks here. I've seen one McDonalds and it delivered, and I saw 1 KFC and it was run entirely by deaf people.
They have metal dectectors everywhere, hotels, cruise boats, all the tourist attractions, everywhere. But the funny part is that either they totally don't even work and are just for looks, or they beep for every person that walks through and nobody even flinches or checks any further. I guess they have them to make the tourists feel safe, but what a joke!
Inside some of the tombs and temples, they don't allow you to take photographs because the flash can damage the paint or whatever. But if you happen to be in a tomb alone, as I was today, the guards will approach you, ask you where your from, tell you that's nice, and then they'll say, follow me, and they'll let you climb behind the ropes, take photos or take a photo of you, tell you to climb up on here to get the best shot, and basically let you break all the rules, but of course, then they'll ask for a tip.
Today I was in the most amazing tomb in The Vally of the Kings, and I was all alone, which made it that much more spectacular, and then this guard let me climb up under neath this huge granite sarcofacgus cover thing and let me take a picture and then took a picture of me. Of course he wanted money and all I had was a big bill, but he gave me change, and then followed me out begging me not to say anything. It was hella funny. It's like get out of my face with your stupid trinkets and your crap, I don't want to buy anything! BUT I will pay to get to break the rules and see stuff that maybe other people don't get to see. At another temple we went into one of the guards let some people I'm traveling with into a locked door and showed them a bunch of old medical stuff. And somewhere else, they'd let you up on the roof to see an amazing view if you pay them a few bucks.
Man, I'm so tired. We've been at it from sunrise to sunset. Now I'm off to catch the night train back to Cairo. More later. Oh, and pics are coming soon!

1 comment:

kat said...

Sounds like you're having lots of fun. I like that you're breaking the rules, it should be the theme of your trip. You too smart to get into any real trouble, but smart enough to get into some :)