Tuesday, September 18, 2007

London

(I'm not sure why some of those pics are out of order... oh well).

Anyway, I had a great couple of days in London. I love this city and I feel like I could totally live here, that is if I could ever afford it! Today it was sunny, although a little chilly, but it feels great after being so hot everywhere in Egypt!

Today I went and saw the Terracotta Warriors exhibit at the British Museum. It is just there for a couple months and it just opened so there was quite a long line, or queue, should I say. But it was totally worth it. It was pretty amazing, in fact. And it was really cool to be see things from China that were made around the same time as some of the stuff I saw in Egypt. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to see the exhibit. It was funny, standing in line, hearing some of these older British people talking about how it was a chance of a lifetime and all that. I'll be in China soon, but I'm not going to make it to Xian, where the Terracotta Army really is, so this was cool. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it! But basically, the First Emperor of China built this elaborate burial site for himself, complete with a whole army (horses and all) made out of clay to protect him in the afterlife. They found these in 1974 and are still excavating the site. They haven't even excavated his actually burial tomb, because they don't want to disturb his resting site. They are hoping that with technology they can figure out what's inside without having to dig it all up and destroy it. (Also, he put a bunch of mercury in the ground all around it, so maybe it's toxic for humans to be working there). This King of Qin (pronounced chin) came to the thrown when he was 13 years old, and he trained a huge army and made all these advancements in weapons and horse drawn chariots and ended up conquering 6 neighboring states and creating an Empire that is now China. He unified weights and measures, the language, and their money. He had strict laws and rules and built tons of palaces and really had a bunch of achievements. His legacy easily rivals that of Alexander the Great and a bunch of other historical figures, but in the West most people don't even learn about him.
Ok, I'm off to bed now, for my early morning flight to Thailand tomorrow.

No comments: