Saturday, September 15, 2007

Egypt is crazy, cont.

I got interupted during my last blog and had to jet. So today I got to just sort of wander around Cairo and it is such a cool city. Well, cool, but also so crowded and polluted! The traffic here is insane. Not only are there cars, trucks, busses, vans and motorcycles doing whatever, but there are also horse drawn carriages and donkey's pulling carts of agricultural stuff all sharing the same roads. And people just step out and cross the road whenever. It's like they are crossing the freeway, but it doesn't phase them. Oh, and on the actual freeway here, it is called ring road and it is like the only freeway in Cairo and just goes all around the city, they have these guys wearing bright green jumpsuits, kinda like prison outfits but instead of orange they are green, and they are sweeping the gutter of the freeway as cars are whizzing by. So in the middle of traffic on the median and on the side of the freeway there are guys with brooms and dust pans, sweeping. And it's not like people stay in the lanes or anything so it seems like a death wish. Maybe they are prison uniforms and that is part of their punishment. I went to the market today and it was also super crazy. Tons of little alley ways with shops selling everything you can imagaine. Different parts of the market have different things, like food or fabric, or electronics, or just the touristy crap. I could have easily spent the whole day just wandering around. And the guys try to hassel you, but I just tell them that nothing else will fit in my suitcase, (which is true) and change the subject and then we end up talking about something else and then they are very nice and friendly. I also went to the Step Pyramid today, which is like 5000 years old, or something like that. It is basically, the oldest monument in the universe. How insane is that?! It's really not much to look at, but that fact that you are standing next to something that is thaaat old, just sort of blows your mind. So this is my last day in Egypt and I have to say I'm a little sad to leave. I really wanted to go to Alexandria and I could have easily spent like 5 more days in Cairo. Oh well. I guess maybe I'll have to come back someday. I'm contemplating trying to go out to a show tonight, but I have an early flight to London tomorrow, and I didn't sleep that well on the train last night so I'm pretty exhausted. I'll post some pics as soon as I can get some wireless, which should be in London. I feel like I had more to say, but now I can't remember. Oh well.
peace out,
m

No comments: