Sunday, September 23, 2007

Off to explore Bangkok

So today I am off to explore Bangkok. Then tonight I'm taking a night train up to Chaing Mai. Internet is definitely going to get harder to come by, so my blogs may be less frequent. And no worries about the photo, there will be plenty of time time to have one taken in Chaing Mai before we get to the Lao border.
Thailand is the only country in asia that wasn't colonized by the Europeans, I think. And they still have a king, so it's weird, you will see signs all over that say "Long live the King," and stuff like that. They all really respect him and think of him as like a 2nd father. Also, monks are very respected in this society. And if you are on a train or bus with a monk a woman can not sit close to him. In fact, if he is walking down the aisle or something, a woman must wait or get out of the way because if the monks rob accidently brushes up against a woman, he has to go through a cleansing process that takes 4 weeks. Can you believe that?! I didn't know that in Buddhism, women are also seen as lesser, unclean beings. Kind of a bummer, if you ask me. I don't have much time so I better go.

No comments: