Thursday, August 20, 2009

Books I've read so far on this vaykay


This was a great book. The kind that's hard to put down and that haunts your dreams. It makes you thankful for your life. It's a tragic story about the plight of women in Afghanistan, but it's got a good ending.. the triumph of love and a glimmer of hope. I highly recommend it.

This was also a great book. It was uniquely written with a sort of dark sense of humor, and I love that! The book is about what it takes to become a successful entrepreneur in India. It was a quick easy read. Good stuff.

I really liked this book, although more for the ideas, than for the style or way it was written. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to everyone. I'm sure my parents wouldn't be interested, for example. But I thought it was interesting. The theme deals with a typical middle aged, well off, American and the feeling that although he is blessed with family and work and a good life, something meaningful is still missing. It's the story of one's man quest to put it all in perspective and gain insight into the deeper meaning of life.

And this is the book I'm reading now. I like it. It's a sort of psychology book dealing with the study of happiness, and one man's quest to visit the happiest places on earth. Funny, the countries he has identified and been to so far, have been some of my favorite places to visit. It made me realize that this is a big part of what I seek when I set out to travel.. happiness, a happy place, fun. And I think this is also part of the reason why I haven't been to Africa yet (well, other than Egypt, which doesn't count as Africa, imo) and why I have no real interest in visiting Cambodia. They don't at all strike me as happy places. Although, I do want to go to Ghana, which incidentally is the happiest country on the African Continent according to this book. I'd love to visit Morocco and Tunisia, but these don't really count as "Africa" to me either.

1 comment:

liz. said...

1. you muuuust read shantaram if you haven't already. the main character escaped from new zealand to bombay and the book covers what happened - it's based on the author's real life, supposedly, and has been recommended to me by many. the writing is on par with that of middlesex, which you should also read if you havent.