Saturday, August 15, 2009

no heli-boarding for me on this trip

So I was talking to these pro-snowboard photographer guys today at the contest, and they were telling me that a snowboarder they know just died in an avalanche heli-boarding down here on the South Island of NZ. They were out riding with one of the local companies and 5 people got buried and they were only able to dig 4 out in time. These photographer guys were saying that heli-boarding is really really dangerous and they hate going on those photo shoots (especially up in Haines Alaska) because they have kids and they always wonder if they are going to come back from those trips or not.
Talking to them made me realize that even if it's cheap to heli-board down here, it would be stupid to do it if the conditions aren't great and I wouldn't even be riding on my own board. The conditions have pretty much sucked lately. And even though I tried to rent the best board I could find, I still don't feel anywhere near as comfortable as I would on my own board.

soooooo... not on this trip. sommmmeday, maybe. but not anytime soon. gonna stick to the lifts, lol.

No comments: