Monday, August 24, 2009

Things I'm not used to seeing...

Like water this crazy turquoise color. I guess when the glaciers move they crush up rocks and that dust gets into the water running off the glacier and so it makes the rivers this crazy turquoise color.

They call that dust, rock flower and I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen water that color before, anywhere else.

I don't think I have. (and I didn't edit these pics at all, lol. this isn't cheating, this is what it really looked like!)

I remember in AK the glacier had parts that looked like toothpaste, and I assume it's from the same type of thing, but I've never seen a whole river be this crazy color. Only in NZ.

I thought it was really cool.

NZ is just so beautiful! I tried not to take a bunch of boring landscape shots, but you almost can't help yourself.

It's just too great. So pristine.

And being surrounded by so much natural beauty makes you think about life on a much grander scale. (at least, it made me think)

In one of the books I just read, in the Thousand Splendid Suns one, I think, it said something about how, when you start noticing beauty, suddenly you notice it everywhere.

And I feel like that's especially true in NZ. It's all around you, all the time.

I'm so glad I got see it!

1 comment:

liz. said...

that color is insane! and who cares about landscape photos? that one in particular is BEAUTIFUL.

you are right - new zealand certainly looks pristine, untouched.