Monday, August 24, 2009

Snowboarding at Remarkables outside of Queenstown

I don't know if I ever noticed it before but the liner of my snowboarding jacket is a bunch of random passport stamps. so cool.

I wish I had gotten to experience some freshies, but I'm not complaining. I mean, I was snowboarding in AUGUST! So even though the conditions weren't great, it was all good. Icing on the cake.

I had a lot of fun riding at Remarkables.

They had 3 terrain parks that were pretty sweet, although they were really crowded and I hate having to stop and wait at the top of a feature, so I mostly rode the shadow chair.

This was at the entrance to a terrain park that had all wooden features in it. Like rails and boxes but all made from sanded logs. It was cool.

I took all these pics on my last day of riding. Sometimes it's hard to remember to take pictures when you are having fun. Taking photos sometimes ruins it a bit, because it takes you out of the moment. It interrupts the flow. But it's usually worth it.

And that's why I like having a small (although that also = crappy) camera that I can just pull out of my pocket and take pics on the fly. I don't like to have to think too much about what I'm doing or spend much time on it.

Because that is my artistic process, it always seemed, to me, to be somehow less valid, like.. not real art. For me all the time and thought comes afterwards in the editing, which, to me, just seems like cheating. I don't know, lol. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way. Maybe it's just the end result that matters. ???

I took this vid. on my second to last run on my last day of riding. It was the longest run I could find, just a kind of narrow, not too steep, not too crazy run. There's nothing really special in this vid. I just wanted to see what it would look like and sound like. I feel like it came out kinda cool, but maybe that's just because I remember what it actually felt like. I don't know how it will look to you guys :)

1 comment:

liz. said...

i'd rather take a thousand photos, edit them later and end up with a few shots that encompass what i was going for rather than spend hella time trying to get that perfect shot when i'm in the moment. unless, of course, i'm not doing anything that involves being in the moment.

experience first... then photography. ha.