Monday, August 3, 2009

Hostal Life


It's a long way from the Langham, that's for sure! But I'm managing. Turtle Cove in Whitianga has the nicest hostel mattresses in NZ, btw. And the couple that runs it is super nice and they put on a yummy spaghetti dinner.
The dorm thing was OK for me that one night, but I'd just rather have my own room and my own space, ya know? And that has been working out pretty good so far.

At the BASE in Rotorua my room slightly resembled a prison cell. There was no toilet paper in any of the bathrooms on my floor the entire time I was there. The bathroom sink area was fine, but the shower smelled of mildew and was pretty nasty. And their wifi was hella slow. But they had a heated pool and a huge kitchen and they gave me a bunch of free drink coupons, so there's that.

At the Kiwi Paka in Waitomo, I think they forgot to clean my room. There were crumbs all over the place and there was rubbish in the bin. I think the sheets were clean though. I hope! My nickname in Waitomo was "Cali" and I'm pretty sure I convinced at least one NZ boy to follow me back there eventually. Wherever I go I'm like California and San Franciso's ambassador, because I just talk about my life and everyone wants to come visit. And with good reason!


Right now I'm at the BASE in Taupo and I totally scored with this room. Everyone who works at the hostels has been way nice to me and I feel so blessed because all of this has been freeeeeeee. And I mean, twist my arm to play drinking games and pool while watching rugby. Things could definitely be worse.

No comments: